Fourth graders at Our Redeemer are taught time management and organizational skills, along with their academic pursuits. They are continually encouraged to be independent learners gaining study skills to help carry them through their academic career. Fourth grade is the first year that students are invited to join organized sports through volleyball, basketball and soccer.
Fourth Grade Curriculum Overview
- Language Arts: Fourth graders begin by digging into the parts of speech. They learn a variety of writing styles including expository, persuasive, creative, and learning to take notes. They will read a variety of texts including the Bible, nonfiction texts, newspapers, poetry and fiction. They will cover prefixes, suffixes, and capitalization rules., conjunctions and prepositions.
- Math: This year will include more complex multiplication and division. Students will explore fractions, geometric shapes, and solving real world math problems, finding square roots, more complex fraction manipulation, comparison of geometric shapes and more complex graph evaluation.
- Social Studies: This year will focus on Texas History. Students will learn about the influence of Spain and Mexico. They will learn how the history of Texas influenced and connected to the history of the United States of America. also understand the different branches of government and the role of the state vs the nation.
- Science: Students will identify and describe the states of matter and how energy affects them. They will explore electricity, weather, and space. Students will learn about living organisms and how they fit into the food web, roles of some organisms in living systems and parts in nonliving systems. Students will learn how to identify and observe the effects of events that require time for changes to be noticeable including growth, erosion, dissolving, and weathering.
- Religion: Fourth graders will continue to study the stories of the Old Testament, such as David and Goliath and Ahab and Elijah. We will also study more about the life of Jesus and all of the parables He tells to show us how to live.
Fourth Grade Highlights
- Texas History Living Wax Museum
- Study Skills
- Field trip to Fort Worth Stockyards and Dr. Pepper Ballpark
- Poetry Recitation
- Pumpkin Unit in the fall
Our Redeemer Lutheran School
Our Redeemer Lutheran School is a nurturing, Christian environment that feeds our students’ faith as well as their minds. We are a private elementary school and preschool espousing an alternative to the man-made models of success that we see in the media by celebrating the qualities beyond fame and fortune. The fruits of the Spirit–love, peace, joy, self-control, kindness, faith, goodness, and gentleness–enrich the learning of our students. We further incorporate a Christian focus by having scriptures as memory work, and all students attend weekly chapel time.