Stepping up into the “grades’ our students add presentations to their skill set such as Mother Goose nursery rhyme and Thanksgiving productions. The Accelerated Reader program begins as they become fluent readers, and parents help with Math Lab each Friday for hands-on math skills. In Second grade, children build confidence in their academic abilities fostering the desire to discover their world. They are eager to learn and explore how things work and the concepts of quantity and time. Teachers continue reinforcing a robust moral compass through our Wildcats Will program.
Second Grade Curriculum Overview
- Language Arts: Students will expand on their reading incorporating reading aloud with fluency and comprehension and vocabulary building. Writing skills include the foundations of the writing process covering planning and drafting. Cursive writing is introduced.
- Math: Second graders will work on comparing numbers and expanding addition and subtraction skills to four-digit numbers.
- Social Studies: Focus on community by studying the contributions and impacts of specific individuals.
- Science: Students will learn about scientific principles noticing patterns, cycles, systems, models, and change and constancy. Second grade covers careful observation and investigation to learn about the natural world.
- Religion: We will continue to establish the base of Christian knowledge with more discussion on old and new testament stories and parables, the importance of prayer and the permanence of God’s love.
Second Grade Highlights
- Math Lab
- Cursive Writing
- Weekly Star Student
- President’s Day Presentation
- Biography Museum
- Stability Balls in the classroom
Our Redeemer Lutheran School
Our Redeemer Lutheran School is a nurturing, Christian environment that feeds our students’ faith as well as their minds. We are a private elementary school and preschool espousing an alternative to the man-made models of success that we see in the media by celebrating the qualities beyond fame and fortune. The fruits of the Spirit–love, peace, joy, self-control, kindness, faith, goodness, and gentleness–enrich the learning of our students. We further incorporate a Christian focus by having scriptures as memory work, and all students attend weekly chapel time.