Remember when kindergarten wasn’t 1st grade? At Our Redeemer, we do! Our kindergarten is actually at grade level, helping the joys of childhood last a bit longer. Play based learning is the focus, with emphasis on skills that set students on the path for success in first grade. PE and recess daily, arts, time to relax, pray, play…and learn.
Kindergarten Curriculum Overview
- Language Arts: Kindergarteners learn how to retell stories, listen critically, draw pictures of stories and read high frequency words
- Math: Math for kindergarten builds on our pre-kindergarten program. Children expand on counting, identifying coins and bills, and recognizing geometric shapes.
- Social Studies: In Kindergarten, students learn about being a good citizen, learn about customs and traditions, and understand God is the ultimate creator.
- Science: By the end of the year, students should understand that God is their Creator and the Creator of the universe, understand the difference between living and non-living organisms, and observe weather changes, and watch a plant grow from a seed.
- Religion: We teach bible stories including the creation story and the Ten Commandments with the constant message on how Jesus loves us.
- Saxon Phonics
- Computer Lab
- Library (get to check out books!)
- Celebrations: 100th Day of school, Elf day, Lucky Duck leader
Our Redeemer Lutheran School
Our Redeemer Lutheran School is a nurturing, Christian environment that feeds our students’ faith as well as their minds. We are a private elementary school and preschool espousing an alternative to the man-made models of success that we see in the media by celebrating the qualities beyond fame and fortune. The fruits of the Spirit–love, peace, joy, self-control, kindness, faith, goodness, and gentleness–enrich the learning of our students. We further incorporate a Christian focus by having scriptures as memory work, and all students attend weekly chapel time.